Lehigh Valley Planning Commission
2016 Lehigh Valley Awards
Outdoor Recreation Project Winner
Camp Olympic Park
Lower Macungie Township
• Bear Creek Disc Golf
• Boy Scouts of America Emmaus
• Boy Scouts of America Fogelsville
• DirtSculpt Park
• Frens and Frens, LLC
• GTS Technologies
• Lehigh County
• Lehigh County Conservation District
• Lower Macungie Public Works Department
• Patrick Stasio Recreation and Park Practitioner
• Pennsylvania Department of Conservation of Natural Resources, Community Conservation Partnership Program
• Reed Group
• Rodale Inc.
• Simone Collins Landscape Architecture
• South Mountain Cycle & Cafe
• Lower Macungie Township
• Urban Partners
• Wallover Architects Inc.
Camp Olympic Park has had an immediate and lasting positive impact on Lower Macungie Township, including better overall community health, the protection and restoration of environmental resources, and a greater sense of community identity. Reflecting its history as a longtime sports camp, the park is imagined as an adventure and nature-based destination offering low-impact recreation improvements. Existing structures, such as the barn, bathhouse, iron bridge and pavilions have been renovated, restored and repurposed, while new renovations have included modern restrooms, meeting spaces and outdoor gathering areas served by ample new parking. Park renovations have also rectified previous design flaws to reduce stormwater runoff and minimize impacts on the Leibert and Little Lehigh Creek stream corridor. The project has resulted in many lasting partnerships with local businesses and organizations, as well as greater interest in completing Lower Macungie’s trail network.